Ryan M. Walsh
TEL: (202) 310-5552
FAX: (202) 310-5555
2020 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
Ryan Walsh is an experienced litigator who has a passion for developing risk management and compliance strategies for clients so they can adhere to the law and stay out of the courtroom. His work includes employment and labor law, business law and commercial litigation, real estate and property law, and civil rights issues.
During law school, Ryan served as a law clerk for the Major Crimes Unit of the US Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of Florida and as a judicial extern for federal magistrate judge Christopher Nuechterlein. He also worked in Dublin, Ireland, as a law clerk with Cruickshank Intellectual Property Attorneys, where he gained a multinational perspective on US and European patent and trademark law. Before joining Carr Maloney, Ryan worked for a law firm in Roanoke, Virginia.
In addition, Ryan served as associate editor of the Valparaiso University Law Review, which also published his work; president of the International Legal Honor Society of Phi Delta Phi; and president of the International Law Society. Ryan was also a member of the Valparaiso University Moot Court Honor Society and was selected to participate in the American Bar Association’s Judicial Clerkship Program.
Ryan’s clients rely on him to provide effective, thorough work. He focuses not just on achieving technical outcomes but also on getting to know and understand his clients. His colleagues trust him as a reliable and relatable lawyer whose diligent work reflects his personal investment in the cases he handles and as someone who has an intuitive grasp of the legal implications of technological change.
- Assisted in the representation of a mother in a case involving the Virginia Assisted Conception Act that made national headlines after a decision from the Virginia Court of Appeals in 2015.
- Formulated successful liability avoidance and risk management strategies for employees intending on starting a competing business with their former employers.
- Represented landowners in complex federal suits, against a large utility company, involving federal license and easement rights.
- Advised and assisted agriculturally zoned clients in conforming their properties to Virginia’s agritourism laws to avoid having to apply for special-use permits.
- Has assisted both employers and employees in resolving disputes involving restrictive covenants in employment contracts.
Ryan Walsh is the author of a note in the Valparaiso University Law Review entitled “Extraterritorial Confusion: The Complex Relationship between Bowman and Morrison and a Revised Approach to Extraterritoriality,” 47 VAL. U. L. REV. 627 (2013).
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE
Ryan enjoys touring museums, traveling abroad, and following his favorite sports teams in Cleveland, the city of his childhood. He also enjoys painting, modern art, rock climbing, history, and spending time with his wife and their rescue basset-beagle mix, Scally.
District of Columbia
US District Court
Western District of Virginia
US Court of Appeals
Valparaiso University School of Law JD, cum laude
Roanoke College, BA
Virginia Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Roanoke Bar Association