Jan E. Simonsen
Jan Simonsen is a trial lawyer focused on mass tort and toxic tort litigation, retail litigation, and professional liability. She represents retailers, manufacturers, home builders, and other clients in mass tort litigation in state courts, federal courts, and multi-district litigation (MDL).
Jan has represented clients in many product liability cases involving large machinery, including cement mixers, boilers, conveyer belts, yachts, and cranes. She advises several large retailers in risk management issues on a national level as well as in litigation, including a multi-claim case involving tainted food from a large gourmet retailer in the Washington metropolitan area.
Her approach is marked by looking at the “big picture” in each case, and by trying to resolve disputes in a manner that is in her clients’ best interests, not only from a legal perspective, but from a business perspective as well.
Jan has been lead counsel in numerous jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations. These have resulted in reported appellate decisions, with several setting important legal precedent, including:
- Dale Hogue v. Donald Hopper, 728 A.2d 611 (D.C. 1999)
- Patricia Blackwell v. CVS of DC & VA, Inc. (DC), decided in October 2000
- Evelyn Everette v. CVS of DC & VA, Inc. (VA)
- Marvin Velasquez v. Essex Condominium Association, et al. 759 A.2d 676 (DC 2000)
- Rochelle Jaffe v. Pallotta Teamworks, et al., 374 F.3d 1223 (DC 2004).
In addition to her practice at the firm, Jan joined George Washington University Law School’s faculty as an adjunct professor for the fall 2015 semester. Jan instructs the Fall Trial Advocacy Class, examining topics related to all aspects of the trial process, including openings, direct examinations, cross examinations, expert witnesses, and summations. Jan has also mediated dozens of cases successfully as a certified court mediator in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
- Represented a building owner in a carbon monoxide case where two people died and a young child was badly injured. Resolved the case without putting the client’s reputation or good name in the press.
- Represented a high-end home builder in several contract disputes with prospective homeowners, and arbitrated all of them with results that the client found highly favorable.
- Represented a national pharmacy retailer in all of its pharmacy and premise claims in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
Martindale-Hubbell® has given Jan its AV Preeminent® rating, ranking her at the highest level of professional excellence. She also has been named as a Best Lawyer in Mass Tort Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation and rated in Super Lawyers.
On December 2, 2013, Jan was named among Business Insurancemagazine’s 2013 “Women to Watch.”
On September 20, 2013, Jan was named Lawyer of the Year by the DC Defense Lawyers.
Jan Simonsen has been appointed by the DC Court of Appeals as Trustee to the DC Client Security Trust Fund through 2018.
- June 12, 2013: PERRIN CONFERENCE
Trends in Food Liability Litigation
Presented at: Intercontinental New York Barclay, New York, NY
- March 19, 2013: PERRIN CONFERENCE
Recent Developments in Asbestos Litigation — Maryland, D.C. and Virginia
Presented at The Beverly Wilshire Hotel, Los Angeles, CA
- November 15, 2012: NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHAIN RESTAURANTS
Violence in the Workplace
Presented to: The National Council of Chain Restaurants
By: Jan E. Simonsen and Thomas L. McCally
Outside The Office
Jan enjoys running, cooking, and she loves to sing.