Kelly M. Lippincott
TEL: (202) 310-5591
FAX: (202) 310-5555
2020 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
Kelly Lippincott focuses her practice on insurance coverage, product liability, and professional liability. Her clients include insurers, manufacturers, distributors, lawyers, title agents, real estate agents, and insurance agents who rely on Kelly to defend civil lawsuits and develop ways to avoid litigation.
Kelly has first-chaired dozens of jury and bench trials in federal and state courts in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. She also has argued before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. In addition, Kelly’s experience as a plaintiff’s personal injury lawyer brings a unique understanding to her defense work.
In the area of insurance coverage, she has advised insurers on an array of matters and defended insurers in federal and state courts. Kelly has litigated disputes involving property coverage, life insurance coverage, and additional-insureds, as well as other areas of coverage.
In product liability suits in federal and state courts, Kelly has represented a wide variety of manufacturers and distributors. She is also an active member of the Product Liability Section of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and a frequent writer on topics in product liability.
Kelly has successfully tried professional liability cases brought against realtors, insurance agents, and attorneys. She previously served as chair of the Professional Liability Section of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys.
Before entering private practice, Kelly clerked for the Hon. Patricia A. Broderick of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. During law school, Kelly served as a student-attorney in the Criminal Justice Clinic, both representing criminal defendants and prosecuting criminal matters in the Maryland District Court for Montgomery County.REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Dante Askew v. HRFC, LLC, d/b/a Hampton Road Finance Company, No. 14-1384 (4th Cir. Jan. 11, 2016).
- Successfully tried an insurance coverage matter in U.S. District Court for Maryland regarding a professional liability policy.
- Successfully defended a product manufacturer in a wrongful death claim.
- Obtained dismissal of a matter against an insurance agent for allegedly obtaining inadequate insurance coverage for a client.
- Successfully defended an insurance carrier for alleged breach-of-contract claim.
- Co-author, “Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium – Maryland,” Defense Research Institute, May 2018
- Co-author, “Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium – District of Columbia,” Defense Research Institute, May 2018
- Co-author, “Don’t Leave It to Chance – Opposing Expert Testimony Under the Current Circuit Split,” Defense Research Institute’s For the Defense, November 2015.
- Co-author, “The Virginia Supreme Court Rejects Plaintiffs’ Expert Witness Testimony in Vehicle Design Defect Case,” Carr Maloney Article, February 2015.
- Co-author, “Defining Terms in an Insurance Policy Exclusion: What the “Eight Corners” Rule Doesn’t Require,” FC&S Legal, September 2014.
- Co-author, “Defining Terms in an Insurance Policy Exclusion: What the “Eight Corners” Rule Doesn’t Require,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2014.
- Co-author, “Late Notice Results in Bar to Coverage: Chicago Insurance Co. v. Paulson & Nace, PLLC,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2014.
- Contributor, “Writing a Reservation of Rights: A North American Compendium,” Defense Research Institute, 2014
- Contributor, “Coverage B: Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium,” Defense Research Institute, 2014
- “Putting Plaintiff’s Claims of Defective and Unsafe Products to Rest: Statutes of Repose in Virginia, D.C., and Maryland,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2013 and Law360.
- “Contributory Negligence in Breach of Warranty Claims: Introducing a Plaintiff’s Improper Conduct in the Commonwealth of Virginia,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, November 2012 and Law360.
- “When a Claim Takes You by Surprise: How to Use the Late Notice Defense in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, November 2012.
- “Contributory Negligence in Breach of Warranty Claims: Introducing a Plaintiff’s Improper Conduct in the Commonwealth of Virginia,” Law360: Products Liability, November 2012.
- “When a Claim Takes You by Surprise: How to Use the Late Notice Defense in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, November 2012.
- “The Right to a Non-suit in Virginia Is NOT Absolute,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2010.
- “The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008—How Companies Can Plan Ahead to Avoid Risk,” BNA’s Product Safety and Liability Reporter, August 2009.
- “Managing the Risks of a Defective Product,” Occupational Health & Safety, September 2008.
- “Product Recalls and Managing the Risks of a Defective Product,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, May 2008.
- “Pulling the Reservation to Control the Defense: When Is It Worth It?,” DRI’s Insurance Coverage and Claim Institute, March 23, 2018
- “How Smart Data is Remaking Insurance Claims,” A.M. Best Webinar, February 22, 2018
- “Cause & Effect: The Ties of Underwriting Claims in the Hospitality Industry,” Perrin Food & Beverage Litigation Conference: A Look at Hospitality, Liquor and Food Liability, October 18, 2016
- “How to Keep Yourself Out of Contractual Trouble,” Sports & Fitness Industry Association’s Litigation, Regulatory & Risk Management Summit (New Orleans, LA), February 1, 2016
- “Sweeping Developments in Product Liability Insurance: A 2016 Update LIVE Webcast,” The Knowledge Group, January 15, 2016,
- “The Duty to Defend: A Comprehensive Review of the Fundamental Concepts, Emerging Issues and Trends,” DRI Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, December 2015.
- “Mobile Medical Apps: FDA Regulation and Product Liability Implications,” 28th Annual Seminar on Medical Device Claims, sponsored by MEDMARC, June 2015.
- “Navigating a Professional Liability Policy,” Virginia Association of Defense Counsel Spring Meeting, May 2015.
- “LOVE & MARRIAGE… Getting Insurance Coverage for Complex Claims without Causing the Insured and the Insurance Company to Get a Divorce,” Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference, March 2015.
- “Mock Trial: E&O Loss Prevention,” Professional Insurance Agents Association of Virginia & the District of Columbia, Inc., 78th Annual Convention and Trade Fair, June 2014.
- “Marketing Tips for the Young Lawyer and Growing Client Relationships,” DRI Product Liability Conference, Young Lawyers Breakout, April 2014.
- “Mock Trial: E&O Loss Prevention,” Professional Insurance Agents Association of Virginia & the District of Columbia, Inc., Southwest Virginia Education Expo, March 2014.
- “Sex, Lies and Videotape: How to Defend Legal Malpractice Claims,” 24th Annual Seminar on Medical Device Claims, sponsored by MEDMARC, June 2011.
District of Columbia
US District Courts
District of Columbia
District of Maryland
Eastern District of Virginia
Western District of Virginia
US Court of Appeals
Washington College of Law, JD
Drew University, BA
Virginia Association of Defense
Attorneys, Chair of Professional
Liability Section, 2010–2011
Defense Research Institute,
Membership Vice Chair of the
DRI Products Liability