Dennis J. Quinn
TEL: (202) 310-5519
FAX: (202) 310-5555
2020 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
Dennis Quinn concentrates his practice on professional liability, commercial litigation, and ethics counseling. He successfully represented hundreds of clients in legal malpractice actions, accounting malpractice actions, and ethical complaints, trying cases in most of the state and federal courts in the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland. Dennis regularly advises lawyers and law firms on ethical issues, frequently speaking to bar associations and professional groups on ethics, risk management, and the avoidance of malpractice claims and bar complaints.
Some of his reported cases include:
- Rogers v. Deane, 992 F.Supp.2d 621 (E.D. Va. 2014).
- Zazzali v. Hirschler Fleischer, P.C., 482 B.R. 495 (D. De 2012).
- USA Waste of Maryland, Inc. v. Love, 954 A.2d 1027 (D.C. 2008).
- Mutual Benefit Group v. Gentzler & Smith Associates, 496 F. Supp. 2d 133 (D.D.C 2007).
- Carranza v. Fraas, 471 F.Supp.2d 8 (D.D.C. 2007).
- Liu v. Allen, 894 A.2d 453 (D.C. 2006).
- Mavity v. Fraas, 456 F. Supp. 2d. 29 (D.D.C. 2006).
- Carolina Cas. Ins. Co. v. Draper & Goldberg, P.L.L.C., 138 Fed. Appx. 542 (4th Cir. 2005).
- Bank of America v. Musselman, 240 F. Supp. 2d 547 (E.D. Va. 2003).
Dennis has been active in numerous bar activities over the years. He currently serves as an elected representative to the Virginia State Bar Council and sits on the Bar’s Standing Committee on Legal Ethics. In 2010-11 he served as President of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys and was on its Board of Directors for seven years. He was also on the faculty of Virginia State Professionalism Course taught to all newly admitted Virginia attorneys.
After graduating law school, Dennis spent six years on active duty in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where he tried over 120 criminal and civil cases. During the Persian Gulf War, he served as the staff judge advocate to an amphibious battle group that fought in several combat operations off the coast of Kuwait.
In 1993, he joined the White House Counsel’s Office as Special Counsel to the President, responsible for overseeing the background investigations of all political appointees. Upon leaving the White House, he served as Senior Counsel to the John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Review Board. In that capacity, he was in charge of the medical records dealing with JFK’s medical treatment and autopsy.REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Successfully represented a large accounting firm in an SEC investigation.
- Defended a large law firm sued by a bankruptcy trustee in an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Successfully represented a large law firm in multi-day sanctions hearing over alleged electronic discovery violations.
- Defended one of two attorneys sued for legal malpractice over an underlying divorce matter. The jury returned a defense verdict for our client while finding the other attorney liable.
- Defended an attorney sued over a real estate closing where the plaintiff alleged the attorney’s negligence prevented the sale of the property. The jury returned a defense verdict.
- Defended an accounting firm sued by its former client for $5 million dollars over an allegedly faulty audit. The jury returned a verdict for one dollar.
Dennis frequently speaks to bar associations and professional groups on how to avoid legal malpractice claims and bar complaints.
- “The Client You Didn’t Know You Had,” Defense Research Institute’s Professional Liability Conference, December 9, 2016
- “Avoiding Malpractice and Bar Complaints 2016,” DC Bar Conference Center, October 20, 2016
- “Trends in Malpractice,” Virginia CLE, August 16, 2016
- “Avoiding Malpractice and Bar Complaints 2015,” DC Bar Conference Center, October 21, 2015
- “Ethics Challenge: An Interactive Discussion on Current Legal Ethics Issues,” Fairfax Bar Association Fall Conference, September 27, 2015
- “Avoiding Exposure: How to Ethically Prevent and Address Legal Malpractice Claims,” VACLE September 25th, 2015 at the Charlottesville, VA CLE offices
- “Just in Case | What to Do When You are the Subject of a Malpractice Complaint,” DC Bar “Practice 360⁰ | A Day for Lawyers & Law Firms,” Presented with Michael Mooney of USI Affinity, May 15, 2015.
- “What to Do When You Are the Subject of a Malpractice Complaint,” DC Bar “Lunch and Learn Program,” Presented with Mike Mooney of USI Affinity, November 13, 2014.
- “Avoiding Malpractice and Bar Complaints,” DC Bar CLE, October 30, 2014.
- “The Most Common Risks Facing Law Firms and How to Avoid Them,” VA CLE, August 25, 2014
- “Communication and Conflicts: Avoiding Malpractice and Ethical Complaints in Your Law Practice,” Alexandria Bar Association, March 20, 2014
- “Avoiding Malpractice and Bar Complaints,” DC Bar CLE, October 30, 2013
- “Fall-Out From: LEO & Payee Notification,” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (VADA), October 25, 2013
- “Non-Client Claims Against Lawyers Still Representing Clients & The Special Issues that Ensue,” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (VADA), October 24, 2013
- “Where’s the Line: Managing the Daily Risks in the Practice of Law,” Attorney’s Liability Protection Society (ALPS), October 3, 2013
- “Avoiding Malpractice Claims and Ethics Problems for Virginia Lawyers,” VA CLE, August 20, 2013
- “Why Every Lawyer Should Understand the Importance of Enterprise Risk Management,” Federal Communication Bar Association CLE, March 27, 2013
- “Avoiding Bar Complaints and Legal Malpractice Claims,” DC Bar CLE, Oct. 24, 2012
- “Trust, Trouble and Tidbits, and Preventing Malpractice Claims and Ethics Complaints,” Attorney’s Liability Protection Society (ALPS), Oct. 3, 2012
- “Top Ten Malpractice Pitfalls,” Virginia CLE, Sept. 27, 2012
- Co-author, “The Ethics of Technology: Lawyer Competency and Client Confidentiality In The Digital Age,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2016
- Co-author, “Are You Really An ‘Expert’ In Md., Va. And DC?,”Law360, September 2, 2014.
- Co-author, “The Inherent Dangers of ‘Limited’ Representation and the Need to Define the Scope of Engagement,” Bloomberg Law, October 24, 2012.
- Co-author, “Using the Regulatory Compliance Defense in Products Liability Cases in Virginia,” Journal of Civil Litigation, Fall 2005.
- Martindale-Hubbell® has given Dennis its AV Preeminent® rating, ranked at the highest level of professional excellence
- 2014 Leader in the Law by Virginia Lawyers Weekly
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE . . .
Dennis enjoys sailing.
District of Columbia
US District Courts
District of Columbia
District of Maryland
Eastern District of Virginia
US Courts of Appeals
District of Columbia Circuit
George Washington University
Law School, JD
Montclair State University,
BA, cum laude
Virginia Association of Defense
Virginia State Bar, Council
Representative, 2012-present; Professionalism
Course Faculty, 2012-2015
Virginia State Bar,
Member; Standing Committee on Legal Ethics, 2016-present
Professional Liability Defense Federation
Virginia Bar Association
American Bar Association
Fairfax Bar Association
Bar Association of the District
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
The Barristers (Washington, DC)
Defense Research Institute
VSB Insurance Malpractice
The Association of Professional