Tina M. Maiolo
Tina Maiolo partners with clients to operate and grow their businesses. She focuses her legal practice in areas that help companies function, including employment and labor matters, business immigration, civil rights issues, contracts, and all types of commercial litigation. Tina serves many clients as general counsel on employment matters. She also manages legal matters specific to nonprofit and charitable organizations as well as religious institutions.
Tina represents clients before the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), state and local fair-employment agencies, and federal and state courts. She defends race and ethnicity discrimination claims brought under Title 42, Section 1981 of the US Code, as well as all other civil rights claims.
Tina serves as general counsel for corporations, associations and organizations, providing day-to-day advice on employment-related matters. She provides employers with risk management services, including the review and development of internal policies and practices. Through individual training and group seminars, Tina advises her clients in preventing employment law and civil rights violations, minimizing damages once violations occur.
She works with employers to ensure they are able to transfer, hire, and retain foreign workers, while also working with individuals to assist them in obtaining or maintaining legal immigration status within the United States. Tina has extensive experience in handling all types of visas, applications for permanent residency, and the naturalization process. She also works regularly with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), local US immigration offices, and embassies and consulates over the world.
- Successfully defended a client in an employment discrimination matter before the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland. The Court affirmed a Motion for Summary Judgment that had been granted in the Circuit Court of Montgomery County.
- Successfully resolved a sexual harassment claim in the religious setting after a daunting round of legal battles.
- Defended a single client against multiple claims of racial discrimination, all of which the court dismissed for lack of evidence.
- Defended clients in a case filed by Greenpeace. It was dismissed in federal court instead of state court like most cases, as all claims are expected to be dismissed in summary judgment.
- Embassy of Italy in the United States certified Tina as its official referral counsel
- The National Organization of Italian American Women (NOIAW) in the DC area honored Tina in its annual recognition of “Wise Women.”
- 2011-2012 “Woman of the Year” by National Association of Professional Woman
- ForbesWoman quoted Tina in “Sex, Money and Lies: How Bobby Petrino Fumbled,” on April 11, 2012. The article discusses the Arkansas football coach’s affair with a subordinate, and Tina indicates the possible legal ramifications of such a relationship.
- Tina was quoted in “Different Classifications of Workers,” in the Spring 2011 issue of ASTAnetwork. The article discusses properly classifying workers—particularly independent contractors—to avoid adverse determinations by the IRS.
- ABA Journal profiled Tina and her work with the Italian Embassy in “L’Accocato,” an article in the October 2009 issue.
- The National Law Journal quoted Tina in “Workplace Defamation Suits Rise,” in the April 13, 2009 issue.
- The National Law Journal quoted Tina in “Afghanistan Deployment to Test New FMLA Rules,” in the Feb. 23, 2009 issue, on the Family Medical Leave Act rules that give certain military families expanded leave rights.
- Tina was quoted in “ADA Amendments May Bring Subtle Change to California Businesses” in the Oct. 30, 2008 issue of California Executive.
- “How Social Media is Changing Insurance Claims,” AM Best Webinar, April 18, 2019
- “Health Care Reform: What It Means to Your Business,” Lawline.com CLE recorded May 26, 2011
- “How to Bring Foreign Workers to the U.S.,” webinar recorded Jan. 13, 2011
- “Misclassifying Independent Contractors: A Costly Mistake,” webinar recorded Oct. 20, 2010
- “Health Care Reform—What Does It Mean for Your Business?” webinar recorded Sept. 15, 2010
- “Immigration Law in the Workplace,” webinar recorded Aug. 4, 2010
- “Recent Updates in Employment Law,” webinar recorded Feb. 16, 2010
Tina is editor-in-chief of Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking. It is published on a quarterly basis to provide updates and analysis in all areas of the law. She is also co-author of the firm’s practice manual, Overview of State and Local FEP Laws of DC, MD and VA. Tina frequently writes articles on ways to minimize exposure to litigation, including:
- “Q&A With Carr Maloney’s Tina Maiolo,” Law360, April 15, 2015.
- Co-author, “An answer to your prayers: R visas for religious workers,” Inside Counsel, June 16, 2014.
- “No special breaks for athletes or celebrities when it comes to needing a U.S. visa,” Inside Counsel, June 6, 2014.
- Co-author, “EB visas: Qualifying for permanent residence in employment-based preference categories,” Inside Counsel, May 19, 2014.
- Co-author, “O visas: For “O”utstanding achievement or individuals with extra“O”rdinary ability,” Inside Counsel, May 5, 2014.
- “From There to Here: How to Make it Happen with an L-1 Visa,” Inside Counsel, April 21, 2014.
- “Applying for H-1B Petitions: The Clock is Ticking,” Inside Counsel, April 7, 2014.
- “The Supreme Court Considers Who Qualifies as a Supervisor under Federal Anti-discrimination Laws,” Inside Counsel, April 8, 2013.
- “The Dos and Don’ts of Using of Arrest and Conviction Records to Deny Employment,” Inside Counsel, March 25, 2013.
- “Careful Use of E-Verify Is Critical to Avoid Liability,” Inside Counsel, March 11, 2013.
- “The Costs of Ignoring Workplace Bullying,” Inside Counsel, Feb. 25, 2013.
- “Should You Use Social Media to Screen Job Applicants?” Inside Counsel, Feb. 11, 2013.
- “Curtailing the Use of Credit Checks in the Hiring Process—Employers Beware!” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, July 2012.
- “Proof of Retaliation: Both Sides of the ‘V’,” Westlaw Journal, June 12, 2012.
- “Employees Punished for Social Media Postings: A Problem or Perfectly Fine?” BNA’s Daily Labor Report, May 25, 2012.
- Co-author, “Social Media and Protected Concerted Activity—Where Do Employers Draw the Line?” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, March 2012.
- Co-author, “Supreme Court to Decide on the ‘Ministerial Exception’,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Oct. 2011.
- “Complying with the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act,” Workforce Management, Sept. 7, 2011.
- Co-author, “New Record-Keeping Requirements on Employers under the D.C. Family Medical Leave Act, Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, June 2011.
- “Following the “Chipotle Crackdown,” Expert Takes Fresh Look at Proper I-9 Procedures,” Human Resources Management Ideas & Trends, April 6, 2011.
- Co-author, “Undocumented Workers Entitled to Workers Compensation for Injury on the Job,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, March 2011.
- Co-author, “Family Members Can Bring Third-Party Retaliation Suits under Title VII,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, March 2011.
- Co-author, “Providing Leave as an Accommodation under the ADA,” ALM’s Employment Law Strategist, Jan. 2011.
- Co-author, “Reevaluating Liability Protections for LLC Members in Maryland,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Sept. 2010.
- Co-author, “GINA: An Overview and Understanding of GINA’s Requirements for Employers,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Aug. 2009.
- USCIS Demands Employers Use New I-9 Form as of April 3, 2009,” Carr Maloney Legal Alert, Spring 2009.
- “Learning the Employment Verification Processes,” Aspatore Special Report, 2009.
- “Are You Ready for the ADA Amendments Act of 2008?” Workforce Management, Nov. 26, 2008.
- Co-author, “The D.C. Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Oct. 2008.
- Co-author, “New Rules Proposed in the H-2B Temporary Labor Certification Program,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Oct. 2008.
- “Learning the Employment Verification Processes,” Aspatore Special Report, 2009.
- Co-author, “Compliance with the 2008 Amendments to the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, May 2008.
- Co-author, “The Limited Liability Company: The Business Hybrid,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, May 2008.
- Co-author, “Applications and Interviews for Employment—Current Legal Requirements,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Feb. 2008.
Outside The Office
Tina spends her free time with her family, and she also enjoys sports and running.