Immigration Practice


Carr Maloney is the official referral counsel for the Italian Embassy in the United States of America. As part of this prestigious designation, Carr Maloney handles all types of immigration matters – for both employers and individuals throughout the country.

Carr Maloney works with employers to ensure that they are able to transfer, hire and retain foreign workers. This is important to both large and small employers, who need the right talent for the job. The right talent might not be found in the United States, but, instead, may come from other countries. Our lawyers also work with individuals to assist them in obtaining and/or maintaining legal immigration status within the United States.

Our lawyers have vast experience working with U.S. Immigration offices throughout the United States as well as United States’ Consulates and Embassies around the world. Our immigration team also advises all employers regarding the I-9 process (the employment eligibility verification obligations applicable to all employers). We help employers implement internal procedures to verify all employees’ employment eligibility and counsel how to retain specific records to avoid audits or raids. At the same time, we advise employers how to avoid claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation in dealing with foreign employees.

For employers, we provide immigration services in the following areas:

  • Intra-company transfers (L-1A/L-1B visas) – for employers bringing employees from a related company abroad to establish U.S. operations, or to perform ongoing executive, managerial or specialized services with a related U.S. entity.
  • Professional workers (H-1B visas) – for employers wanting to hire university degreed or experienced professionals including engineers, computer professionals, and medical doctors.
  • Traders and investors (E-1/E-2 visas) – for employers and individuals wishing to engage in international trade from the U.S. or invest in and manage a U.S. business.
  • Extraordinary Ability Aliens (O-1 visas) – for employers wanting to employ foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.
  • Trainees (J-1/H-3 visas) – for employers seeking to bring foreign nationals to the U.S. for a period of up to 24 months to gain practical knowledge and training.
  • NAFTA (B-1/TN visas) – for employers or professionals from Canada and Mexico seeking to access new immigration opportunities pursuant to the North American Free Trade Agreement.
  • Temporary Workers (H-2A/H-2B visas) – for employers in need of bringing foreign nationals to fill a temporary or seasonal need.
  • Labor certifications – for employers that must “certify” the unavailability of U.S. workers in order to retain foreign national employees on an indefinite basis.
  • Permanent residence (1st, 2nd, and 3rd preference categories) – for employers requiring the services of foreign personnel in the U.S. on an indefinite basis and for individuals desiring access to immigration options to facilitate the process of obtaining U.S. permanent residence.
  • Priority workers – for employers who want to retain individuals who are international experts acclaimed in their professional fields on a permanent basis.
  • Employer compliance (I-9 procedures) – for U.S. employers required to comply with federal laws governing employment eligibility verification and record keeping, while ensuring they do not violate anti-discrimination laws.

As for individual representation, we assist individuals obtain naturalization, permanent residency and/or the following visas:

  • A-1 Diplomatic or consular officers, close relatives
  • A-2 Other foreign government officials or employees, close relatives
  • A-3 Attendants, servants and personal employees, close relatives*
  • B-1 Temporary Visitor for Business
  • B-2 Temporary Visitor for Pleasure
  • C-1 In Transit
  • C-2 In Transit to UN Headquarters
  • C-3 In Transit -Foreign government official, family and employees
  • E-1 Treaty Trader, spouse and children
  • E-2 Treaty Investor, spouse and children
  • F-1 Student Visas
  • G-1 Principal recognized foreign government representative to an international organization, staff, spouse and children
  • G-2 Other recognized foreign government representative to an international organization, staff, close relatives
  • G-3 Non-recognized foreign government representative to an international organization, close relatives
  • G-4 International organization officers or employees, close relatives
  • G-5 Attendants, servants, or personal employees of G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-4, close relatives
  • H-1B Specialty Occupations (professionals)
  • H-1C Nurses in health professional shortage areas
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural worker
  • H-2B Temporary Non-Agricultural worker
  • H-3 Trainees
  • I Representative of Foreign Information Media
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor
  • K-1 Fiancee & Fiance of U.S. Citizen
  • K-3 Spouse of U.S. Citizen
  • L-1 Intracompany Transferee (Canadian citizens can get this permit right at the border.)
  • M-1 Non-Academic Students
  • NATO-1 Principal Permanent Representative to NATO and staff, spouses and children
  • NATO-2 Other representative to NATO and staff, spouses and children
  • NATO-3 Official clerical staff accompanying NATO representatives, spouses and children
  • NATO-4 “Officials” of NATO, spouses and children
  • NATO-5 NATO Experts, spouses and children
  • NATO-6 NATO Civilians, spouses and children
  • NATO-7 Servants of NATO-1 through NATO-6 and their spouses and children
  • O-1 Temporary Worker of Extraordinary Ability
  • O-2 Accompanying O-1
  • P-1 Athletes and entertainment groups
  • P-2 Artists and Entertainers under reciprocal exchange program
  • P-3 Culturally Unique Artists and Entertainers
  • Q-1 Cultural Exchange visitors
  • TN Free Trade Professionals

For information regarding publications and seminars by Carr Maloney, see Articles and News & Resources.