Ed Krill has been practicing business law with a focus on health care and hospitals for more than 40 years. He helps clients find solutions to regulatory and contractual problems that make business sense and that avoid litigation and protracted controversy.
Ed counsels healthcare providers and professionals on a variety of issues, including credentialing and accreditation standards, licensure, discipline, labor and employment matters, practice structure and the buying and selling of practices and interests in practices. He is well-versed in Medicare regulations and other professionals. Ed assists physicians and hospitals with regulatory compliance, sanctions, and the continuous changes in U.S. health policy and regulation.
Ed is a frequent speaker on health law topics at seminars and taskforce meetings of the American Health Lawyers Association, District of Columbia Hospital Association, and Academy of Medicine of Washington, DC. He is also a founding member of the American Society of Hospital Attorneys.
- Obtained a favorable licensure outcome for a practitioner who had violated narcotics laws.
- Fought a Medicare audit demand for repayment of $1.4 million by a physician, resulting in no repayment at all.
- Worked out an agreement for sharing services between two large, competing medical centers.
- Developed a plan and corresponding agreements for adding partners to a professional practice.
Georgetown University Law Center
- Co-Author, “Preparing for Return to Work: What Employers Need to Know Now,” Carr Maloney’s COVID-19 Resource Hub, May 6, 2020
- Co-Author, “When A Sick Employee Comes to Work,” Carr Maloney’s COVID-19 Resource Hub, May 6, 2020
- Co-Author, “Advance Notice Required for Change in Pay,” Carr Maloney’s COVID-19 Resource Hub, April 23, 2020
- “Calculating The Overtime Rate May Change,” Legally Speaking, Issue 37, May 2019
- “Exemption of Professionals From Overtime,” Legally Speaking, Issue 36, February 2018
- “Physicians’ Liability in the Opioid Crisis: A Recommendation,” LegallySpeaking Issue 35, October 2017
- “Labor Department Announces Massive Changes To Overtime Regulations,” Legally Speaking Issue 32, July 2016
- “Recent Developments in FLSA Overtime Rules,” Legally Speaking Issue 31, February 2016
District of Columbia
- American Society of Hospital Attorneys, Founding Member
- Academy of Medicine of Washington, Director, Treasurer
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section