Mariana D. Bravo
Mariana is a partner at the Firm and concentrates her practice on commercial disputes, professional liability, construction, real estate, and catastrophic personal injury disputes.
She has extensive experience in successfully representing attorneys, construction companies, real estate professionals, insurance professionals, and businesses and corporations before administrative tribunals, state, and federal courts. She also advises companies, including Fortune 500 companies, concerning risk management and business practices.
Mariana currently serves as the Hispanic National Bar Association’s Vice President of External Affairs and also serves on the Association’s Executive Committee. She previously served as the Hispanic National Bar Association’s Vice President of Programs and Regional President for the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia.
Mariana heads the Pro Bono initiative at the firm, including the firm’s participation with the Washington Lawyer’s Committee’s D.C. Public School Partnership Program, which matches area law firms with individual public schools in the city to bring tutoring, mentoring, other programs and services to thousands of children. She also actively participates in a number of charitable events throughout the year including the used clothes drive for the homeless and area shelters, sponsored by Gifts for the Homeless, a non-profit corporation comprised of lawyers and staff from area law firms to serve area shelters, and the annual book drive for Turning the Page.
While in law school, Mariana interned at the US Department of Justice in the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section, assisting in the prosecution of white-collar crime. Mariana, who is fluent in Spanish, also studied a semester of law in Argentina, where she interned for the Criminal Court of Investigation in Buenos Aires and assisted in investigating criminal cases. Before entering private practice, Mariana served as law clerk for the Honorable William D. Quarles in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City.
Martindale-Hubbell® has recognized Mariana with the AV Preeminent®rating, placing her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- “Three’s Company? Navigating A Liability Insurer’s Duty to Defend Settle, and Indemnify Conflicts Arising in Tri-Partite Relationships” HNBA’s Annual Convention, September 26-29, 2019
- “Better Safe Than Sorry: How Lawyers Can Avoid Being Sued,” HNBA’s Annual Corporate Counsel, March 21, 2019
- “The Red Flags Indicating You Have Retained a Bad Expert”, Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Conference, September 2016
- “Effective Techniques in Mediation Advocacy – How Inside and Outside Counsel Can Partner to Maximize Results,” Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference, March 2016
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice,” Hispanic National Bar Association and Hispanic Bar Association of DC Seminar, March 2015
- “LOVE & MARRIAGE… Getting Insurance Coverage for Complex Claims without Causing the Insured and the Insurance Company to Get a Divorce,” Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference, March 2015
- “ARE YOU AT RISK? The Top Tips to Prevent Legal Malpractice and Ethics Claims,” Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Conference, September 2014
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice Claims,” Institute for U.S. Law, July 2014
- “Legal Risks Associated With Starting a Business,” Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting Annual Conference, August 2013
- Co-Author, “Wire Fraud Schemes and Resulting Liability”
- Co-author, “Can You Be Liable For Legal Malpractice To Nonclients?”, Law360, April 1, 2015.
- Co-author, “Unveiling Hidden Risks In The Medi-Spa Industry”, Law360, March 31, 2015.
- Co-author, “Are You Liable for Defective Designs?,” Construction Today, September/October 2013.
- Co-author, “Maryland Lack-of-Good-Faith Statute in Operation,” LJN’s Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin, August 2011.
- Co-author, “D.C. Makes Residential Foreclosures a Two-Step Process,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, December 2010.
- Co-author, “Keep Interests in Mind in Court,” Business Insurance, October 10, 2010.
- Co-author, “Virginia Supreme Court Ruling Takes Policy Interpretation Beyond ‘Eight Corners’ of the Complaint and Policy,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, September 2010.
- Co-author, “Employer’s Responsibilities in Providing Leave as a Reasonable Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Act,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, September 2010.
- Co-author, “Insurance Companies’ Exposure Resulting from Appointment of Independent Counsel,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, June 2010.
- Co-author, “Employment Verification and I-9 Compliance: Avoiding Penalties,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, October 2007.
- “Virginia Rule Affirmed Invalidating Agreement Entered into Pre-Injury Releasing a Tortfeasor from Liability for Negligence Resulting in Personal Injury,” Carr Maloney’s Legally Speaking, Winter 2005.