Nat Calamis is a trusted business advisor and litigator who focuses his legal practice on trial defense, counseling, and training private companies and other businesses for employment and labor law and business law and commercial litigation disputes. He also is practice group leader for Carr Maloney’s cybersecurity and privacy practice counseling businesses in relation to data protection, privacy issues, and claims arising out of data breach incidents.
Nat represents several different types of clients including nonprofits, religious organizations, trade associations, government contractors, technology companies, professional partnerships, and executives in all types of commercial and business law disputes. These cases can involve claims of violations of non competition and non solicitation agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, copyright infringement, defamation, breach-of-contract, and tortious interference with contract issues. Nat has also represented businesses and individuals in numerous temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction hearings arising out of commercial disputes.
Nat is lead counsel in bench and jury trial for Carr Maloney’s employment and labor law and regularly practices before administrative agencies, including the EEOC, state and local EEO agencies, and the American Arbitration Association (AAA). He defends employers in a variety of claims, including common law and statutory claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. He has litigated matters involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act (DCHRA), the Maryland Fair Employment Practices Act (FEPA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the False Claims Act (FCA), the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Maryland and DC wage payment and collection laws, and numerous claims for wrongful discharge in violation of public policy. Nat also provides businesses with guidance relating to data protection and privacy regulations, including HIPAA and various state data breach notification statutes.
- Defended private educational institution in a two week jury trial in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland arising out of claims of unlawful retaliation brought by a former executive.
- Served as lead counsel in a three-day hearing before the American Arbitration Association, defending a nonprofit against claims of defamation and breach of contract brought by a former executive.
- Served as lead counsel in a wrongful discharge in violation of public policy claim in a three-day jury trial in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, Maryland, defending an assisted living facility operated by a large, area religious institution.
- Defended a government contractor in a six day jury trial against claims of breach of contract and violation of the District of Columbia Uniform Trade Secrets Act brought by a former employee in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
- Recognized on Super Lawyers List, 2018-2019 for Employment and Labor
- Recognized on Super Lawyers Rising Star List in 2014-2015 for Employment Labor
- “Cyber Insurance Policies vs. Crime Insurance Policies,” PLUS’ Elite Private Yacht Cruise, September 18, 2019
- “EEOC’s ADR Programs: Practical Approaches to Achieving Solutions,” EEOC Training Institute, July 18, 2019
- “Mediation Bootcamp,” The Employment Law Group, April 11, 2019
- “Whistleblowing in the Trump Era: Will The Whistles Sound As Loudly?” D.C. Bar, October 24, 2017
- “Cyber Liability Risks,” District of Columbia Defense Lawyers Conference, October 10, 2014
- “EEOC Crackdown on Criminal Background Checks,” National Retail Federation Conference, June 11, 2014
District of Columbia
U.S. District Courts
District of Columbia
District of Maryland
Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Maryland Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- President, D.C. Defense Lawyers’ Association (DCDLA)
- The Barristers
- Counselors and the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)